Life Together as One and Beyond...

Our journey together as one going through the many facets of life.

Monday, December 13, 2004

Rantings

I was joking with some that it’s not my work that SL is expecting again. I counted the days (those married will know what I’m talking about), I made plans, etc. But, I know very well that our God don’t play by our rules. That’s why, I wasn’t to shock to find out the good news. Furthermore, I think the timing is just right so that NN will have someone to take care of and play with.

With the dawning of this new life, we’re even more focused and spurred to work towards a single income family. It’s no easy task, especially for the parent (usually mum) who’s staying at home to take care of the domestic matters. Some may think that we can afford with just my income. Yes, we can get by but barely, and not without sacrifices from our part which only we know. As my colleague always tell me that, “You’re the man with the plan”. I’ve plans for things I want to achieve (material, lifestyle, etc) but going towards single income will mean that those “dreams” will go up in smoke. It took me a while to ponder, think, and get back to reality. Do we want to go through life doing what people “normally” would do? Going for double income and dump the kids with the nanny, baby-sitter, etc, or whoever you can think of. As I was pondering, I was suddenly reminded of the wide and narrow path in Matthews. A homemaker, though not popular (at least media doesn’t portray it that way), is one of the most noble and important role. It contributes to the society/world in a micro manner but I believe can have macro effects. We’re trying our best to trust in Him to take care of our other worries because we truly feel that this is the right thing to do even though our flesh may be telling us something else. As we abide in Him, He will abide in us.

Please don’t get me wrong. I don’t mean any disrespect for those who really need double income to support the family. However, I don’t think we can deny the fact that many times we’re heavily influenced by the media, the society, friends, etc, of how we live or should live our lives. So much so that we can’t give up our certain lifestyle in order to achieve something better. It’s hard for me to put this in words. I remember an author of a financial book once said that we often chase after the good things in life, so much so that we missed out the best things in life. I believe the same can be said of our walk with God. Often we’re clouded by the cares of the world that we missed out the best God wants for us.

Last night after watching the reality TV show at 10.30pm on TV3 (I’m not saying the name as I’ve nothing good to say about it), I was tossing and turning in bed trying to fall asleep but my mind was thinking a lot on what went on the show. This is a good example of what the media’s feeding our minds. Go get it, betray to achieve, ulterior motives, live the great life, grab all you can, etc. I think you can think of more. Yeah, we all watch it for fun, I know I do. To a certain extent, I feel it has some hold or influence on us. That’s enough to get us off track. Seeing these participants bad mouthing each other in order to survive the round just make me sick. Well, the good thing is they’re not stabbing each other backs…just stabbing each others chests…hahaha. Out of all these, the rich donkey gets richer while being able to enjoy seeing these participants fight it out for the priced position. Again, I’m not against any of these. Ask SL, and she will tell you that I’m a TV series addict. I’m reminding myself the effects of all these can have on me also.

It’s a rather long ranting for Monday but I’ve to get it out after last night’s tossing and turning. 8-).

2 Comments:

Blogger Sivin Kit said...

I watch the particular Reality Tv show you mentioned as well ... and with extremely critical lenses :-) sometimes, here and there you might catch some "useful values" or "helpful lessons" but in general the feel is very dog-eat-dog world isn't it?

12:25 PM  
Blogger skng74 said...

db, thanks for the affirmation. that has always been in our minds but i guess there's no greater reason than ever 8-). i think God helped expedited the process with this new one coming our way hehe.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home