Life Together as One and Beyond...

Our journey together as one going through the many facets of life.

Sunday, June 27, 2004

Free Indeed

When Christ has set us free, we’re free indeed. No question about that. But that don’t mean we don’t plan for our retirement. At some point in time (senior years), we’ve to stop work (as in 9-to-5 active work). Therefore, we would require some form of income during our non-working years to support our daily needs. Even LCMS talked about a retirement fund for pastors…8-).

I might have sounded in my blog (Huh? Retirement?) like one of those who desire to retire early and sit back and relax and do nothing. But that is not what I had in mind. And yes, I know very well that I have a responsibility towards my fellow colleagues where God has placed me. Otherwise, I would have taken my uncle’s offer long time ago for the sake of the money he’s giving me.

Also, maybe we’ve a distorted view of retirement (in our Christian point of view) as well. Most of the time (like I’ve mentioned in my blog about my friends), a typical picture portrays a person slogging very hard in the name of ‘making it’ (by the standards of the world) at all cost, at anyone’s expense. Like money, it’s not bad/wrong unless we make it our master.

I know it’s very easy to get our minds clouded when it comes to anything to do with money. For me, I’m secure enough in God and also know that I’ve to give an account of my life to God. That in itself keep me in check always, not to mention that SL also always caution me in this area of our lives.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sivin Kit said...

After some extra grey hairs on this matter and talking with many young adults wrestling with the kind of financial demands in this "messes-up" world, I realize the Biblical understanding of "stewardship" is a powerfully liberating idea and truth where one sees themselves as "managers" of the resources available to them from the hours we have to economics. I believe that teaching gives us an antidote to sometimes the misused phrase of "financial freedom" (that may or may not give undue pressure to some who may never be financially "free" as in debt-free for whatever reason)

The idea of "retirement" is also interesting, this is where our discussions (though just touching it here and there) on "Sabbath Rest" is noteworthy. In many ways, the concept of "Sabbath Rest" which we learn to experience weekly now is extenced in "retirement" where we look back with fulfilment of the work we've done and share with others the wisdom we've acquired through the years.

Thus, as a Christian I find great encouragement that God has placed within our reach "free indeed" truth such as the teaching of "Stewardship" and "Sabbath Rest" which I suppose needs more fleshing out and airplay so we can provide an "alternative" not only in our lifestyles and values but even the "language" we use to reinforce what we truly treasure.

p.s. interesting you mentioned the "retirement fund" for LCMS pastors which was long delayed (almost 20years late).

1. The background is almost none of the pastors are able to save beyond their EPF and maybe some personal savings that would sustain them when they so call "retire". Many survived because of children (thank God!)But some especially those who are single are in more dire circumstances.

2. Unlike, many church members ... the "retirement fund" is dependent on the LCMS HQ's and congregations contributions and efforts to manage the fund. So it's more like a company's effort to take care of their employee rather than a personal effort to prepare for the future.

3. Having said, all that we do live in times where the "worries" of finance takes up our attention even for those of us who serve in "religious occupations" and you are right to point out our need to "Rest assured" in God's care ... I guess, the challenge is many a times some of us might have "sleepless" nights or "extra anxiety" because these matters overshadow the Gifts he's already given before us.

Phew Long post ... but, you've brought up a good discussion. Excellent, thoughtful and down to earth!

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home