Life Together as One and Beyond...

Our journey together as one going through the many facets of life.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Father

I have never been close to my father. I can hardly remember him being a part of my childhood. I guess that explains why we hardly talk, not because I hate or dislike him but because I feel he’s more like a stranger to me than a father. Nevertheless, he has been providing, like any father should, in monetary terms for my upbringing and tertiary education. But as far as relationship goes, it can be much better.

Recently, I got a disturbing sms from him. He sent it to my sis and SL too. Then, I thought it’ll be a good opportunity to meet him and find out more. However, I’m also feeling somewhat reluctant because of the “stranger” feeling in me.

SL has been reminding me to set up a meeting with my father and I just procrastinated. SL has always been a catalyst to improving my relationships with my parents. Partly because she’s really close to her family and believes in having close relationships with relatives.

Finally, we met up last Sunday together with my sis and SL. We talked for close to 2 hours. It was a breakthrough for me because I can’t remember that we ever met up to talk, especially without my mum around.

I often tell SL (before and after NN was borned) that I want to step up as a dad to my children. I want to be there for them, listen to them because I don’t want history to repeat itself on my children.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sivin Kit said...

"good job!" with two thumbs up!

as we become fathers ourselves, I suppose it "opens" up possibilities to learn how to "relate" to our fathers at a more "mature" level. More like peers in a way.

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home