Life Together as One and Beyond...

Our journey together as one going through the many facets of life.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

What is "Supposed" to be?

From last week’s message (No Perfect People Allowed), I had a flash back on our LG several years ago. To say that I was discouraged by it is an understatement. It wasn’t what it was “supposed” to be. What is it “supposed” to be anyway? I thank God that I’ve moved away from this notion that Christian/Church/Small Groups have to be in a certain way. It’ll never happen. I’ve learned it the hard way before.

Back then, I was worked up with how the group was doing and how some people were behaving. I was at the verge of quitting as LG leader. Looking back, I guess I shouldn’t be so. Partly, it’s out of my control. Mostly, I think we shouldn’t “pamper” people. There’s time to be nice and kind to people but also time to be firm. People shouldn’t come to church always expecting to be treated like kids, being pampered that is. We’re all adults anyway.

Until now, I’m still baffled by people who come excessively late to Sunday worship gathering CONSISTENTLY. It is so distracting when people come in and out halfway during the course of the whole service, to say the least. Do we go to work, appointments, interview, etc excessively late? Okla, wedding dinners excluded since it’s in our M’sian blood to always arrive late for one reason or another. There’s something seriously wrong with our attitude. If we love our people, we should speak the truth to them. If people always expect us to be wishy-washy and nice, I’m sorry to say that at times we’ll be firm. What the h*** is wrong with us? How do we expect to make disciples when we’re lousy disciples ourselves? I constantly ask myself this question.

I’ve told someone before that I don’t like to let other Christians at work know that I’m a Christian. Somehow, they’ve this unhealthy expectation that we Christians need to be nice nice to each other all the time, at least that is the impression I get. I think these are all superficial kind of nice or politeness. I like the summary of the church life cycle during last Sunday’s message. Sooner or later, we’ll face reality and sometimes that is not what we expect it to be, by our own expectations that is. The heck with all these superficiality and get real!

Throughout the existence of BLC, I’ve seen people come and go because of various reasons. If we examine carefully, I think many are due to unhealthy expectations and superficiality.

This is as raw as my feelings can get.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanx for blogging about ppl who consistently come in late for sunday worship, coz' I'm one of them! Frankly,it's a fairly new concept for me on the accountability amongst church members. So whenever I habitually decide to be late again, I guess your 'face' will remind me that's not a good idea after all...hehe.

12:00 PM  
Blogger skng74 said...

babychristian, glad that you admitted, haha. anyway, i'm not pinpointing anyone in particular. just venting my frustration. 8-).

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home