Life Together as One and Beyond...

Our journey together as one going through the many facets of life.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Parenthood

Recently, someone had asked me “How has parenting changed you?” and it has stuck to my mine since. So, I thought I should put down some thoughts.

It has given me a chance to experience a very little of what Jesus has experienced when he selflessly gave up His life so that we could have life. Yes, it has given me a chance to learn to be more selfless and more outward looking (going single-income for us is also a result of parenthood). Many married couples without kids, whom I’ve come across, dread the idea of having them. I think the crux of their fear is losing their “freedom”.

Even in the world of baby training, I believe many revolve around the parents, not the babies/kids. (Hmm, something is wrong with this picture. Shouldn’t babies get the attention?) Everything is marketed to lure parents with the carrot of convenience. It’s a sad truth but true. It is no wonder that when kids grow up, they conveniently forget about the parents. So, don’t blame it on the kids. Every problem has a root cause, get down to it.

Something someone else once mentioned to me which kept me trying to be selfless with my kids is; they grow up extremely fast, if you think that they’re troublesome now, you may not even have the chance to have them trouble you when they’re all grown up, even if you want them to. Before you know it, they’re out of your lives.

My word to couples without kids, don’t be too concern how things would turn out because you won’t know until you’re in it (did I hear you say that it’ll be too late then?). Again, it come to what I’ve always believe, that our younger generation has lesser and lesser tolerance to “hardship” (may not even be the right word, too exaggerating). I’m beginning to think of parenthood as some form of discipleship and Christ never promise that discipleship is a bed of roses. NEVERTHELESS, parenthood is one of the most fulfilling experience one can have, unless one is too selfish and engross with oneself.

2 Comments:

Blogger Skyhover said...

well said. (clap clap)

But I don't agree with you one point, though I am older than you, i am still very much in "young" generation. :-P

1:51 PM  
Blogger skng74 said...

ala, u know what i mean la...i also consider myself young...

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home