Life Together as One and Beyond...

Our journey together as one going through the many facets of life.

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Verbal War Week

This past week has been a verbal war week between me and a colleague in the office. All these started because of a faulty software release which originated from my colleague’s work. That caused some ripple effect on the system which I’m supporting.

Even though, she admitted to the fact that she made a very silly mistake, she still tried to shift the blame on me or hoping I would share some with her. Our senior management is very particular about problems arising from software releases because it causes the bank to lose money, worse still reputation if there is direct customer impact.

I stood my ground because I did absolutely nothing wrong. Then, she had the guts to bring in my manager for a meeting with me. Good thing, my manager is on my side. Half way through the meeting, I just walked out saying that she is wasting our time.

So, I thought she rested her case. Boy, am I wrong! Next thing I know, she was sending out an email with just her side of the story to some senior analyst and manager of her team. Fine, I replied with my side of the coin and left for the day. That was Friday.

Let’s see if they want to pursue any further or should I say let’s see if the rest of them are as out of their minds as this crazy middle-aged single woman! Bring on whatever senior manager or even head of the company, I’m not afraid because the truth is on my side. God is my witness.

Sadly, there are many manipulative people like that in this fast becoming bureaucratic company. These people may lack substance but fortunately they can speak well and “louder” than a whole lot of IT guys. It is people like that whom I need to stand firm on my ground; otherwise I’ll be bulldozed over. I may be a man of few words but don’t count on stepping over me like a door mat.

Having said that, I need to pick my battles as it may not always pay to stand up for oneself in our Malaysian workplaces.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Bloggers Face the Law
In tempting a new degree of honesty from their writers, blogs foment passionate debates that often ... The standards for bloggers disclosing trade secrets are being examined in a case involving Apple Computer before the California Court of Appeals.
Hey, nice blog. I'm going to bookmark you!

I have a georgia weather forcast site/blog. It pretty much covers georgia weather forcast related issues.

Come and check it out when you get time

3:30 PM  
Blogger Skyhover said...

I stand by you with prayer support. Many knows my "fire" character but not yours :-P

May the truth prevail.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home