Life Together as One and Beyond...

Our journey together as one going through the many facets of life.

Friday, July 02, 2004

Do You Know What You Want?

This question of “what I really want” has been in my mind these 2-3 weeks. Especially so, during this week as the theme for this Sunday is “What do you really want?”. Tough question. Often times, we think we know what we want, but sometimes it’s just that, we think. Doesn’t sound too convincing, does it?

When comes to money, I realised, a lot of people will buy things they do not want, and worse still to impress people whom they do not like. When comes to our work, we see all kinds of wants; job satisfaction, promotions, pay, etc. There’s always this constant wants in life (never ending) because none of these will satisfy our deepest need. Even my personal experience tells me so. I remember 2 years ago when I was working for HLB, I was constantly thinking of how nice it is if I can earn a manager’s pay. And now, I’m getting twice as much as I’m previously getting. No doubt that I thank God for it, for His provision. However, I once think of how nice it is to earn a manager’s pay don’t excite me anymore now. Why? I think it’s just our limitless nature of wants.

A property investment book author once puts it, “I have few wants in life, therefore I’m rich now.”. I believe this can be applied in our Christian context, i.e., we can be rich in God if we shift our attention away from the wants of this world and set our eye on His values. This is, of course, the big picture of what we really should want. However, I believe we’re always on the journey to find out what we want, as we being bombarded by the wants and values of the world.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean, I have got to the point of looking back and thinking I was happier when my life was simpler and I earned less. We seem to have a knack of living beyond means.

DB

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home